Sunday, July 10, 2011

Firefly and Serenity



Just last night, I finished my Firefly marathon. I'd heard of Firefly's popularity and so began watching the cancelled-too-soon TV show on Netflix, immediately followed by the film Serenity. This TV show, created by Joss Whedon of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame, is a sci-fi western, with lots of comedy, action, and compelling characters. Serenity is the film that wrapped up the Firefly story and answered fans' burning questions that were left unanswered when the show was cancelled after only 14 episodes. Loved every minute of it!

I have to say, I have never seen a show quite like this. I liked the dialogue and the cursing in Chinese, the sexual tension between Mal/Inara and Simon/Kaylee, and the stupid but strong essence that is Jayne (Adam Baldwin--also love him on Chuck). It's difficult to pick my favorite character, but I might go with Mal. Nathan Fillion makes a great captain and now I think I may have to start watching Castle because of his Firefly performance. Makes me curious as to what he can do.

I can see why this show and movie reached cult status. Fans can do so much when they are enthusiastic about a story and its characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment